Leonardo da Vinci was an extremely versatile personality of Italian Renaissance period. He was an expert in many disciplines. He was a builder, an artist, geologist, anatomist, an author, innovator, sculptor and many more. He is by far one of the finest artists the world has ever seen. In his name, the word ‘da vinci’ is not his surname rather it only means ‘of vinci’. So let’s now discover more in detail.
Full Name: Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Date of Birth: April 15, 1452
Place of Birth: Vinci, Italy
Date of Death: May 2, 1519
Place of Death: Amboise, France
- The name of his father was Piero Fruosino di Antonio da Vinci.
- The name of his mother was Caterina.
- The initial 5 years of his life were spent in his mother’s home in the Italian city of Vinci.
- Leonardo’s father got married to a very young little girl named Albiera. She was only 16 years old at the time. Though she passed away in her early days but she was really fond of Leonardo.
- Leonardo’s father got married to yet another young girl named Francesca Lanfredini. She was 20 years old at the time.
- He used to study subjects like mathematics and geometry in Latin language.
- The name of Leonardo’s teacher in the field of painting was a famous Italian artist of his time known as Andrea del Verrocchio. He is popularly known by his pet name Verrocchio and owned a great workshop in Florence.
- In 1466 when Leonardo went to Verrocchio as a trainee, he was just 14 years old.
- By the time Leonardo was 20 years old, he became an expert in Guild of Saint Luke.
- The valley of Arno in the Italian region of Tuscany is believed to be the very first painting of Leonardo. He made it in August 5, 1473.
- He walked out from the workshop of Verrocchio in 1478.
Leonardo donated all his paintings, equipments and books to his pupil named Melzi through his will.
- During a period of 17 years from 1482 to 1499, he did jobs in Milan.
- He painted two most popular paintings named Virgin of the Rocks.
- Leonard was signed up for making the world’s biggest equestrian sculpture in 1482 but it could not be completed. He made this statue of clay and known as Leonardo’s horse. It is also called Gran Cavallo. When French troops attacked Milan 1499, they spoiled this statue.
- He worked in the city of Cesena in 1502 as an army engineer.
- The name of Leonardo’s most dear friend in his final years was Francis I of France.
- Leonardo spent the last 3 years of his life in the French city of Amboise. The name of his house in France was Château du Clos Lucé.
More Leonardo Da Vinci Facts For Kids
- Leonardo donated about 50 percent of his vineyards to his another pupil named Salai. He donated the rest of the vineyards to a person called Battista di Vilussis, who was his servant.
- Leonardo was 23 years older than Michelangelo and 31 years older than Raphael.
- One of the dear friends and colleagues of Leonardo was a popular Italian mathematician named Luca Pacioli.
- During 1490s, the most popular artistic work of Leonardo was The Last Supper.
- The world’s most fantastic painting of Leonardo was the portrait of Mona Lisa during the 16th century.
Did you really find these Leonardo da vinci facts for kids helpful? Is it what you’re looking for? Please comment and help us improving this article. Thanks for reading it!