Buddhism is one of those religions that are rich in religious practices and beliefs. It is one of the quickly growing religions of the world. Majority of its followers live in Asia but it is growing very fast and soon it may become one of the major religions of the world. Now it is for sure one of the major religions of the world and so let’s explore this wonderful religion in Buddhism facts for kids.
A Quick Guide To Buddhism Facts For Kids
Name of Founder: Gautama Buddha
Date of Birth: 563 BCE
Place of Birth: Lumbini (Nepal)
Date of Death: 483 BCE
Place of Death: Kushinagar (India)
Basic Buddhism Facts For Kids
- Buddhism is based on the teachings of Gautama Buddha or Buddha. He is the founder of this religion.
- The meaning of Buddha is ‘The Awakened One’.
- Gautama Buddha was born in Nepal in 563 BCE.
- During 6 BCE and 4 BCE centuries (BCE stands for ‘Before the Christian Era’), Gautama Buddha started teaching his beliefs and practices in the subcontinent of India. Subcontinent region is in the south of Asia and includes Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.
- When he was 35 years old, he sat down under a holy fig tree and began doing meditation. This tree is in India and is known as Bodhi tree.
- Buddha began his teachings from the east of the subcontinent.
- Majority of the followers of Buddhism live in Asia.
- The origin of Buddhism is based on three things called Triple Gem or Three Jewels. These are Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
- Buddhists seek guidance and hide themselves under the Three Jewels.
- The most important part in the teachings of Buddhism is four truths known as ‘Four Noble Truths’. All these four truths are about ‘dukkha’, which means “suffering” or “anxiety”.
- There are four virtues of Buddhists known as brahmavihāras, which means ‘abodes of Brahma’. These four meditation practices are also known as Four Immeasurables.
- Four immeasurables are loving-kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity.
- The loving-kindness meditation is also known as Mettā. It is the most famous among all four immeasurables.
- The fourth truth is known as Noble Eightfold Path. There is another name of Noble Eightfold Path called Middle Path.
- The concept of the word ‘suffering’ is very important in Buddhism.
- There are two branches of Buddhism.
- One branch is called Theravada. The literal meaning of this branch is ‘The Teaching of the Elders’.
- Majority of the followers of Theravada lives in countries of Southeast Asia including Burma, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos and the like. Besides, people of Sri Lanka are also major followers of this branch.
- The second branch is called Mahayana. The literal meaning of this branch is ‘The Great Vehicle’.
- The followers of Mahayana branch are found in the East Asia region. The countries of this region include Taiwan, Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam and the like.
More Buddhism Facts For Kids
- The followers of Buddhism are called Buddhists.
- The number of Buddhists around the world varies from 500 million to 1.6 billion.
- Buddhism is one of those religions that are growing very fast around the world.
- Saṃsāra is a term used by Buddhists. The literal meaning of this word is ‘continuous movement’.
- Karma is a term used by Buddhists. It is a Sanskrit word that means ‘action’ or ‘work’.