Michael Morpurgo is a British writer, playwright and poet. His greatest contribution however lies in writing novels for children. The very first job for which Morpurgo signed up was a teacher in a primary school but very soon he realized that his real talent lies in writing stories for kids. So now let’s explore more about Michael Morpurgo.
A Quick Guide To Michael Morpurgo Facts For Kids
Original Name: Michael Andrew Bridge
Current Name: Michael Morpurgo
Date of Birth: October 5, 1943
Place of Birth: St Albans, Hertfordshire
Country: United Kingdom
Number of Children: 3
Reason for Popularity: One of the best writers of children books
Basic Michael Morpurgo Facts For Kids
Family and Marriage
- The name of his father is Tony Van Bridge. He was an actor.
- The name of his mother is Kippe Cammaerts. She was an actress.
- Morpurgo has got one brother. His name is Peter and he is older than Morpurgo.
- The name of his wife is Clare Morpurgo. The name of her father is Sir Allen Lane who founded Penguin Books.
- Morpurgo has got 3 kids. The names of these three are Rosalind, Sebastian and Horatio.
- Morpurgo and his wife (Clare) built a charitable trust in 1976 and named as ‘Farms for City Children’. It gives children a new experience for exploring countryside and consists of a 7-day program on a farm.
- After the establishment of this charity, more than 85,000 kids have participated.
- The charity owns 3 farms. These farms are in Wales, Devon and Gloucestershire.
- He wrote more than 120 books.
- Due to their extraordinary contribution for children, Morpurgo and Clare were awarded with the ‘Members of the Order of the British Empire’ (MBE).
- On June 17, 2006, in view of his contribution in literature, Morpurgo was also given Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE).
More Michael Morpurgo Facts For Kids
- When Morpurgo was 19 years old, he came to know of his real father. Before that time, he did not know of him. Tony Van Bridge was his natural father.
- The source of Morpurgo’s inspiration for writing stories was Ted Hughes. He was particularly impressed by his book ‘Poetry in the Making’.
- He has been awarded with a position of Children Laureate. He was the third British to have such a reward starting from 2003 till 2005.
Did you really find these facts about Michael Morpurgo helpful? Is it what you’re looking for? Please comment and help us improving this article. Thanks for reading it!